From 1 January 2022, comprehensive export controls and inspections will be in place, and border locations will be required to implement mechanisms for the control of items destined for export.

The ports will make use of a port inventory system for the temporary storage model in which hauliers/trailer operators must adhere to commercial instructions or the pre-lodgement procedure for non-inventory linked ports/terminals using the GVMS. Read on to understand the general process of moving goods from GB to the EU.

Moving Goods from the GB to EU

When a driver collects goods from the premises of an authorised consignor in order to transport them into the EU, the driver must be provided with all customs documentation required to enter the EU. If the driver is collecting goods and the necessary documentation from a permitted consignee, the driver is not required to stop at an IBF en route to the border. Instead, they may proceed immediately.

If the driver is not collecting goods for export from an authorised consignor and the commodities are in transit, the driver must attend an IBF to initiate/activate the transit movement. The IBF is where they will receive the paper document (TAD) that must be scanned at the border exiting Great Britain.

If the goods are not in transit, the exporter/agent/freight forwarder shall supply the haulier with the MRN(s) for the pre-lodged import declaration(s) for the member state into which the haulier is transiting.

What Are The Export Regulations?

The exporter is responsible for notifying the haulage company of the Permission to Progress (P2P) and allowing them to depart towards the border. To leave products at inventory-linked ports, including any unaccompanied freight, the trailer operator must supply the Unique Consignment Number (UCN) provided by the exporter.


However, for inventory-linked ports, the details of the EU import are not yet clear. It is possible that the driver may be unaware of the EU import at the time of export. The exporter/loader must explain to the driver/trailer operator the regulations of the EU member states.

What Will Be Different On 1 January 2022?

For empty shipments or loads with repeated import or export declarations, hauliers must continue to create a goods movement reference (GMR). If hauliers are leaving the UK via the GVMS, they must comply with the following requirements prior to arrival:

  • Request that the exporter or agent provide accurate references for each consignment carried.
  • Combine all of these references, along with any safety and security declaration references, into a single GMR for each vehicle movement.
  • Update the GMR with the correct vehicle registration number (VRN)

Prior to Exiting GB

When transporting accompanied RoRo freight, the driver must possess all relevant reference numbers and paperwork to satisfy the import requirements of the EU country into which they are travelling. Unless another party has agreed to assume responsibility for this as part of its incoterms, it is the responsibility of the GB exporter to ensure this is done. You may be required to submit an EXS declaration.

At the EU’s Border

The driver must adhere to the import and border procedures of the EU member state into which they are travelling. It is recommended to confirm procedures in advance as they may vary by port.

Contact us if you have any questions regarding the process of moving goods from GB to the EU. We will help you understand the regulations and requirements and assist you to stay compliant while exporting goods.