Do you remember our previous discussion on the introduction of the EU Settlement Scheme for EEA nationals last year?

As the deadline comes closer, you must make haste and apply for a pre-settled or settled status. Your EEA family members can do the same.

If you are a non-EEA citizen, you can opt for the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) Family Permit. The simple pathways can be your ticket to the UK if you act quickly.This article discusses therules and regulations for this immigration scheme in detail.

Here are a few things you must know:

The Basics: What is an EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit?

It’s animmigration scheme that supportsnon-EEA individuals who do not have a visa or British residency within the UK. Once approved, the EUSS Family Permit allows the holder to visit the UK as many times as they want during a six-month-validity-period.

2. Application Rules and Regulations

Non-EEA citizens can apply for the EUSS Family Permit if they meet the criterion. The first rule limits eligibility to family members who have an EEA citizen residing or accompanying them on their trip to the UK.  Not only that, but the latter must also have a verified, pre-settled or settled status as per EUSS standards. In addition, that person must visit or live in the UK for at least six months.

The Home Office will deny applicants whose spouse (or guardian) does not have a EUSS number. Your application may be cancelled if the other person’s status is revoked or cancelled due to legal issues.

Besides this, you can qualify for the permit if you:

  • Submit evidence of a civil partnership or a marriage contract to prove your relationship.
  • You are dependent on the family or another person due to your age (i.e. children, grandchildren, parents, and grandparents).
  • Dependent family members of the non-EEA spouse can also apply if they meet the prerequisite conditions.

These conditions are only valid for relationships formed before 31 December 2020. Thismeans that newly married partners (and family members by association) need to take an alternative immigration route if they wish to live in the UK. Like always, the rules and regulations vary depending on individual circumstances.

EUSS Family Permit for Dependents Aged 21 & Over

As explained in the previous section, dependents (younger or older family members)qualify for this permit. Children aged 21 or above must submit financial, medical, or other documents to verify their dependence. For instance, mentally impaired or disabled children can submit medical records as evidence.

What’s the Next Move?

Overall, the EUSS Family Permit simplifies travelling for non-EEA family members. All you need are the required documents and the right representation. We provide a full range of family immigration law services for families separated due to cross-border elements.

Our legal support team will assist you indrafting applications and provide expert guidance on what you can and can’t do.

Are you planning to apply for the EUSS Family Permit? Get in touch to schedule a free consultation.